Thursday, December 20, 2012

Salt Dough Ornaments (1 of 2)

I love the tradition of making homemade ornaments to hang on the tree. We used to do it when I was younger and I had totally forgotten about it until I saw a few recipes floating around on Pinterest. So I decided to organize a Gregory homemade ornament making party :)

This really is so simple. The recipe we ended up using came from Tori Spelling in Us Weekly, but it was almost identical to the recipe we used when I was a kid.

2 cups of flour
1 cup of salt
3/4 cup warm water
Holiday cookie cutters
Drinking straw
Paints, glue and glitter to decorate
Ribbon or twine

1. Preheat oven to 225 degrees. Mix Flour and salt. Add water. Knead until soft. (If dry add more water.)

2. Roll dough on floured surface to 1/4-inch this. Cut with cutters. Add hole with straw. Place shapes on sprayed cookie sheet and bake 2 to 4 hours.

3. Decorate. Tie ribbon through hole.

Flour + Salt

Tim mixing dry ingredients
Add water.

I didn't get a picture of myself kneading, but here is the final mixutre
Roll, to a 1/4-inch thick


Aidan only lasted a few rolls, Ashley was definitely the master roller

Cutting out shapes with the cookie cutters

Using the straw to make the holes to hang the ornaments
One of our five trays!
We decided to wait to decorate on a different day because of the 2 to 4 baking window. So the ornaments are made and just waiting for us to decorate on Friday!

To see the decorating party click here.

3 comments:

  1. I can't even explain how happy this makes me...it brings a smile to my face! I love your Christmas traditions you have started this year!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, what are you going to use to decorate them with? Paint?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are using acrylic craft paint and glitter of course!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...