Thursday, December 6, 2012

Clomid

Well, I'm on it. Well, I should say took it. 50mg of Clomid days 5-9 of my cycle, which was Friday through Tuesday.

How did we get here? We waited our two months after the miscarriage before we started trying. We tried for three months on our own. And here we are.

I called my doctor the week of Thanksgiving to see the game plan b/c I was set to start my period over that weekend. I remembered from my appointment in June that I had to take the Clomid on certain days of my cycle and I sure as hell didn't want to miss my window. Even during that phone call with my nurse I wanted to know my options but at the time I wasn't ready to take it (the Clomid). I was obviously still hoping I was pregnant. On Friday night I started spotting and knew the chances of me being pregnant were pretty slim. Saturday there was a whole lot of nothing so I started to get my hopes up again. Sunday morning I took a pregnancy test and it was negative. I started spotting again Sunday night and by Monday afternoon I had started my period. By that time I was confident in my decision to take Clomid. I want options and answers. I just can't keep doing what we are doing b/c that is obviously not working. So if a little Clomid will help us out then that's what we are going to do.

I called my doctor on Tuesday and by Wednesday we had a plan. 50mg of Clomid days 5-9 and then on day 12 I go in for Follicle Ultrasound Scans. Cycle day 12 is tomorrow. I had done some research on Clomid but none on the scans, so the googling began.

Clomid is a medication used to treat infertility in women. It works by stimulating an increase in amount of hormones that support the growth of a mature egg (ovulation).

Based on some of the charting and blood tests I had done before my miscarriage we know that when I ovulate it is late in my cycle, which is abnormal. There is also a possibility that I don't ovulate monthly, even thought I have a regular monthly cycles. So the Clomid should help both of those issues.

So step one is complete. Now, what I think I know is that on Friday...
  1. They will take scans of my ovaries. 
  2. They will look for how many follicles I have. 
    • I originally thought ovaries made eggs so I had to do a little research on what follicles actually were. That wasn't totally wrong. The eggs are inside of these follicles. 
  3. They will also look to see how many of those follicles are "mature." 
    • I think mature follicles are the follicles that are capable of releasing the egg(s) during ovulation. From some message boards I read online there is the possibility of me having no follicles to having too many. They said not to get discouraged if your have none b/c they can increase the Clomid the next month to help that. If I have too many I guess my doctor could tell us not to try b/c of the increased chance of multiples.  
  4. I guess they will also look to see if anything appears wrong in/on my ovaries.
So in all honesty I really don't know what to expect. I can say that I am confident in our decision. I'm not nervous or hesitant. I'm just ready to see what my doctor finds. I am so thankful that I am going to get to know something, anything! Now I am trying to take my doctors advice and just take it one step at a time.

Here are a couple of articles that I found helpful:
Anatomy of the Ovulation Cycle
Clomid Fertility Drug Treatment

1 comment:

  1. I am so proud of you Megan! This is a tough road full of unknowns and you are being so positive! I also feel like I just learned a bunch from your blog. You know I am here for you 100% and for every part of your journey if you need anything! Love you

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...