Thursday, September 13, 2012

What to say?

Life has been a little rough these last 24 hours, and I know the next week won't be much better. One of my best friend's (Trina) dad lost his fight with Alzheimer's around 6:30 p.m. yesterday, September 12. What do you say to a friend who has just lost their dad? Not a grandparent, but a dad. Her daddy. See Jim was the young age of 60 and he was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's just four years ago. Trina and I hadn't become close friends yet, so I've only know her since the diagnosis, but I have heard so many adjectives to describe her father. And let me tell you, he was a good one. You can just tell by the way others talk about him. Funny, talkative, energetic, smart, sweet, athletic, caring, her rock; all of the things you want your dad to be. Sadly a lot of those qualities in him had been taken away during the past four years, but to her he was always dad. Still the man she loved more than anyone else in the world. Who's hand would comfort her in times of sadness or fear. And I am so sad for my friend that he won't be in her world anymore. Even with everything they have been through in the past four years, it is still unbelievable that the time has come to say goodbye. As she said to me this morning, "Did yesterday really happen?" Yeah it did. And it totally sucks. Really, what else is there to say?

So in the days and weeks to come just keep the Appelquist family in your prayers that they can adjust to life without their rock. That they can find comfort in the fact that Jim was a man of God and he is now free from his Alzheimer's and was welcomed into heaven with open arms.

I also wanted to share a post and video that Trina put on Facebook this morning:
My sister wrote this song a couple of years ago...very fitting for the next few days! Thank you for writing such a beautiful song, Steph! Dad was so proud of you!!!



2 comments:

  1. Such a touching blog, Megan! You're an awesome friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting this, Megan! Though, I may be crying now, it's so comforting knowing that I have some pretty awesome people to help me through this!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...