Wednesday, February 29, 2012

4th Annual Whitaker Publishing Chili Cook-off

It's that time again! Yesterday eight co-workers (including me) got their crock pots cooking and the office smelling of delightful chili powder as we kicked off our 4th Annual Chili Cook-off. I won the first year with our "Taco Soup turned Mexican Chili" Chili. I entered it the second year and wasn't so lucky so now each year I like to try something a little different. I entered my Chunky Slow Cooker Chili which Tim named "That's some damn good chili!" Chili. And it was damn good if I do say so myself. Sadly it did not prevail, but it had lot's of good comments and a few votes! Hey, I got third, not too bad :)
Oh yeah, we had an official score card. We made up fun names b/c it was an anonymous contest. No playing favorites around here!
We used individual cups to taste test each chili. I labeled my plate so I wouldn't get them mixed up.
The overall winner (which was my favorite too) was Meat & Beans! made by Savannah Waszczuk.
Meat & Beans! Meat & Beans! Gotta Have Me Some Meat & Beans! Chili:

Ingredients:
1 1/2 to 2 pounds ground beef 
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoons cocoa powder
2 15-ounce cans of Busch's chili beans in mild sauce (you can use medium or hot if you'd like)
1 6-ounce can tomato paste
1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
1 cup of Coca Cola (not diet!)

To prepare: 
Brown ground beef and season with salt to taste. Drain meat and return to a deep Dutch oven-style pan or crock pot. Add all of the remaining ingredients and seasonings. Mix well. If cooking on a stove, cover and let simmer for approximately one hour. If cooking in a crock pot, let simmer on low six hours or on high for two hours.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...