Wednesday, November 16, 2011

{New Meal of The Week} Cheesy Chicken and Rice Bake

I've been a little behind on blogging, but we have been trying new recipes every week! This one is from two week ago, and I actually totally screwed it up!  You will see...


Ingredients

  • 2 whole Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts (we used two cans of chicken)
  • 4 cups Cooked Brown Rice
  • ¾ cups Frozen Corn
  • 15 ounces, fluid Can Black Beans, Drained And Rinsed
  • 1 cup Plain Greek Yogurt (or Sour Cream, we used Sour Cream)
  • 4 ounces, fluid Can Green Chilis
  • ½ cups Salsa
  • 1 cup Low-fat Cheddar Cheese, Plus More For Topping

Preheat oven to 350F. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except for cilantro and mix thoroughly to combine.

Make sure the yogurt and cheese are stirred in throughout the entire bowl. Season with salt and pepper if desired.   Transfer to an oven-safe dish and top with extra cheese if you would like. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until heated through.

This is when I realized I had messed up. I got it all mixed up and it wasn't creamy at all. I know from making our chicken and rice, if the rice is going to cook it has to be totally covered by liquid. Not that case this time. So I referenced my recipe and saw in bold letters COOKED RICE. Opps! So now I had 4 cups UN-cooked rice mixed in with all of my ingredients. There was no way that was all going into one casserole dish as instructed.
So we divided the casserole into two different dishes. Then added a can of chicken broth to both. One each hoping it would cook the rice.

It looked a little scary going in.

Hey, it worked! It was actually editable!

I would have liked it to be a little creamier, so we ate one casserole dish as it was. For the second dish (that we were going to freeze) I added in a can of Cream of Chicken soup and froze it. I will keep you posted if it turns out :)

Things I learned:
1. Read directions, fully.
2. If you mess up, don't give up!
3. Again, read directions :)
Recipe courtesy Tasty Kitchen


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...