Thursday, May 12, 2011

Our sweet Stella has passed on

Many of you have asked about and prayed and supported the Aguirre family as their youngest daughter Stella fought for her life. Sadly last night that fight ended in the loving arms of her parents. Logan is my direct boss at 417 Magazine and wrote this touching entry on her Caringbridge site that I wanted to share with you all. 


Dear friends,
It is with a combination of devastation and peace that I tell you that Stella Elizabeth passed away just before 11 p.m. last night. She passed away comfortably and peacefully in my arms with Dave's arms around us and with a room full of nurses and close family that loved her and helped her fight.

When I got to the hospital yesterday morning she had her eyes open and we had about 15 minutes together where I told her all of the usual things about how much we loved her and how proud we were of her and how much we wanted her to come home and keep fighting. But I also told her something I'd never said to her before. I told her that if it was all too much for her and she just couldn't fight any longer that I understood and that it was okay to let go. She closed her eyes and started a long, slow progression of lowering her heart rate and her saturation. She did it all on her own so we were not forced to make that decision for her.

We had her baptized and we took turns holding her until the very end.

I am relieved for Stella and so proud of her for the way she fought. And I am so thankful for each of her doctors and nurses that did everything they could to help her. And so thankful for all of you. Your support and encouragement helped us get through so many tough days. Most of all I'm thankful for every day that I had with Stella where I got to see her personality and take care of her and bond with her.

She taught me so much about toughing it out, smiling through it and making the most of what you are handed. These are lessons I will carry with me always. I've had so many nice compliments on how strong or brave I am. I drew daily strength and bravery from watching Stella be so positive and fighting through the daily battle of something as simple as breathing. I hope, thanks to Stella, that I never lose this appreciation and perspective on what is truly important in life.

Last night just before 11 p.m., Lucy woke up at Wicker's house and ran to the window and started pulling on the blinds and crying. Wicker just held her while she cried and cried. I just know that Stella left us and then went and said good-bye to her big sister who wanted so badly to have her home.

We will keep you posted on arrangements.

Thank you and much love to all of you,
Logan and Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...